• Speed control: Smooth deceleration, does not impede traffic, adjusts speed to react to traffic or conditions, maintains steady speed during lane change, approaches intersection at a speed which allows the turn to be made without stopping or braking during the turn.
• Stopping: Does not encroach over stop line or crosswalk, keeps vehicle wheels pointed straight ahead while stopped, does not turn wheels until actually beginning to make the turn, maintains an adequate gap between vehicles (rear wheels of vehicle ahead are visible and/or uses three-second rule following distance to stop).
• Acceleration: Accelerates smoothly without jerking, doesn’t lug engine, coast, impede traffic, clash gears, or stall vehicle.
• Searching: Observes the traffic environment, looks over shoulder before changing lanes, uses mirrors, looks left, right, left prior to entering intersections.
• General driving behavior: Steering, braking, acceleration, observation, lane usage and obeying all traffic laws, signs and signals.
If you fail the drive test, you must wait until the next day before another exam will be given, unless the examiner feels more time is necessary to allow for improvement.
$50.00 with your vehicle
$55.00 if you have interlock (must drive your vehicle)
$60.00 if you need to use our vehicle.
970-319-3525 Se Habla Espanol x3
The drive test will be administered using guidelines from the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA). The skills measured will be an assessment of all three of the following categories:
Perceptual: The ability to interpret the traffic environment in a way that permits proper vehicle operation. (See and know what to do)
Perceptual-motor: The ability to couple driving responses with traffic stimuli. (See, know what to do, and do it)
Attention sharing: The ability to carry out two or more performances simultaneously. (Steer, control speed, watch)
Your driving test score will be based upon how well you perform the following maneuvers:
• Left and right turns.
• Stop intersections.
• Through intersections.
• Lane changes in traffic.
• General driving behavior.
• Merging to and from traffic. Specific maneuvers have grading factors that are associated with the performance requirements. These are:
• Lane selection: Enters/exits traffic from proper lane, approaches intersections in proper lane, ends maneuver in proper lane.
• Lane management: Remaining entirely within the turning lane, keeps both hands on the wheel, uses approved method of steering control (hand-overhand or push-pull-slide), keeping vehicle centered in appropriate lane at start and finish of maneuver, starts/finishes turns in proper lane, does not encroach over lane markings, or drag wheels over curbs.
• Signals: Activates signal the proper distance in advance of turning or making a lane change, cancels signal, if necessary, after completion of maneuver
THE DRIVE TEST - ROAD TEST
You must show evidence of insurance and registration for your vehicle (Please bring in with you to your appointment). The examiner will check the vehicle for safety including brake lights, turn signals, seat belts, the windshield, and tires. If any issues are found and we can not use your vehicle, we do have one available to use for a fee. The drive test measures your skill and knowledge of legal and safe driving practices. For safety reasons, only the driver and the examiner are allowed in the vehicle during the test. You may question the examiner before the test begins. After that, any unnecessary talking will only hamper the test. You will be scored during the entire test.